Monday, March 5, 2012

Switch It Up

By Alyssa


With cold temperatures outside, workout options can be very limited!  I know from experience that going to the gym several times a week gets really old after a while, or it can just be a hassle to get to. Also, if you’re anything like me and have basically no upper body strength, it’s a little intimidating to be surrounded by athletes bench pressing ten times more than me!  

So what can a girl do to still get a good workout in? Workout DVDs! 

I first discovered my love for workout DVDs this semester. During Christmas break, Brianna informed me that I would be joining her and her sister Chelsea in doing P90x this semester. I was a little intimidated by this since 6 days a week of working out seemed like a lot for a busy college student! But I have to say, I have loved this program and it has been a lot easier to stick with than I anticipated. 


No matter what level of fitness you are, I would highly recommend trying workout DVDs. There are SO many benefits – you can work out in your own room, it’s a lot quicker than driving all the way to the gym, you can do it with friends, there are a lot of options so you won’t get bored, and you can have fun and not worry about looking dumb since you aren’t surrounded by buff athletes in the gym!

Here are a couple of tips that I’ve found to be helpful this semester:

Tip #1: Workout with friends. This has been the biggest motivator for me! When you know there are other people counting on you to work out with them, it pushes you to not be lazy or make excuses. Also, it is just way more fun! We are usually laughing about half the time during our workouts – at ourselves, at each other, and at the people in the DVD. It makes the time go faster and laughing is good for your abs, right?!

Tip #2: Have a plan and stick to it. College life can get insanely busy, so I think it’s crucial to set specific days and times that you are going to work out. It doesn’t have to be the same time every day, but setting specific times forces you to prioritize and plan your homework/social time around that. Of course, sometimes things come up and you won’t be able to stick to the same time, but that is no excuse to not make any sort of schedule!  

Tip #3: Try something new.  Be open to new workouts when you’re selecting a DVD series. You never know what workout you might fall in love with! I had never really tried yoga before P90x, but I discovered that I absolutely love it. Also, I re-discovered my love for kickboxing with the P90x Ken Po DVD. Look for a DVD series that has lots of variety in the workouts. P90x is great for this, and I know many others are as well. 

Tip #4: Consider working out in the morning. I know it can be hard to get up early, but it is a great feeling to get your workout done at the start of your day! Plus, it will jump start your metabolism. 

Tip #5: Keep moving! Even if the moves in the DVD are too tough for you, don’t just stop. Modify the moves if you need to in order to keep your heart rate up the whole time! 


Workout DVDs are definitely worth a try.  P90x has worked great for me, but I know it’s not for everyone. I’ve had friends who have done Jillian Michael’s 30 Day Shred and loved it. There are a TON of great options out there, so go find one that works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment